Body Image Struggles in Elite Sport with Ffion Davies
Join us on this episode of the Consilience podcast as we delve into the experiences and insights of Fionn Davies, an extraordinary Welsh grappler and elite Brazilian jiu-jitsu competitor. In this episode we explore the often overlooked aspect of body image in sport. Fionn opens up about her personal journey from Judo to Jiu-Jitsu and how her perception of body image has evolved over time. Discover the impact of societal pressures, weight cutting, and the pursuit of appearance on athletes' well-being. Uncover Fionn's powerful realisation that prioritising performance and overall mental and physical well-being are paramount. Get ready to challenge conventional norms and redefine your perspective on body image in sports.
About The Guests
Ffion Davies (born 18 January 1995) is a Welsh submission grappler, mixed martial artist and a world-champion Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) competitor. She has won the World Championship twice. A member of Wales Judo National team when she was a junior, Davies holds a black belt in both BJJ and judo.
Davies is the first British/Welsh black belt world champion (in both Gi and No-Gi), the first European to win the Brazilian Nationals, the lightest-ever competitor to win the IBJJF European absolute division, and the first British/Welsh ADCC World Champion.
This Episode Is A Must Listen For:
- Both aspiring and professional athletes who want strategies for prioritising performance and overall well-being.
- Coaches and trainers who want to understand the impact of societal pressures on athletes' body image and well-being. You can also learn about creating a supportive and inclusive environment that promotes a healthy mindset.
- Anyone interested in body image in sport, self-perception, and the effects of societal expectations.
- Fans of sports who are curious about the behind-the-scenes aspects of athletes' lives, including the challenges they face and the importance of holistic well-being.
- Shedding light on the challenges athletes face regarding body image.
- The Importance of shifting focus from appearance to performance and overall well-being.
- Appreciating the functionality of the body and what it can do rather than solely focusing on appearance. This mindset shift is vital for fostering a healthier relationship with one's body.
- Finding balance and considering personal strengths and desires. Being both physically and mentally healthy and happy, highlighting the significance of energy, positive mindset, and moderation in food choices.
- Being an authentic and kind role model, particularly for young athletes who may be influenced by negative behaviours or expectations in their sports environment.
- Find Ffion here
- Disordered Eating In Athletes with Dr Georgie Buckley
- One powerful practice to improve your body image
If you enjoyed this episode, don't forget to rate the podcast and leave us any questions to answer in upcoming episodes!