Compassion Focused Therapy for Body Shame - Dr Alicia Carter
Are you tired of struggling with body weight shame and self-criticism? Discover the transformative power of compassion-focused therapy in this insightful interview with psychologist Dr. Alicia Carter.
In this episode, we help you to feel comfortable in your body and prioritise holistic well-being by embarking on a journey of self-compassion. Learn practical techniques to overcome body weight shame and cultivate self-acceptance.. Gain insights on building sustainable behaviors and nurturing your body for lasting well-being. Whether you're a professional or an individual struggling with body weight shame, this interview is a must-listen.
About The Guest
Dr Alicia Carter is a psychologist who works as a tutor and research assistant at School of Psychology, University of Queensland. She has facilitated compassion-based workshops at the Biomedical Institute of Yoga and Meditation and recently defended her PhD on "Compassion Focused Therapy for Body Weight Shame.
This Episode Is A Must Listen For:
- Those who want to gain valuable insights into compassion-focused therapy for body weight shame from a leading expert in the field.
- Individuals who want to discover strategies for healing, self-compassion, and overcoming body weight shame from an expert psychologist.
- Fitness industry professionals can learn how to shift the focus from weight loss to overall health and promote sustainable behaviours that go beyond the numbers on the scale.
- Anybody who want to explore the importance of collaboration between physical and psychological health industries in supporting individuals with their health behaviours and body weight concerns.
- Compassion-focused therapy (CFT) is a therapy approach targeting shame and self-criticism, using compassion as motivation for healing.
- Shame causes suffering, affects relationships, and hinders health-seeking behaviours, both mentally and physically.
- Focus on overall health, including mental well-being and physical fitness, rather than solely on weight loss.
- Individuals need care, support, and collaboration between physical and psychological health industries to achieve comprehensive well-being.
- Promising results from a group therapy trial using CFT for individuals with high BMI, improving mental health, eating behaviours, and self-compassion.
Listen to the full episode and discover evidence-based strategies to help you feel more comfortable in your body and empowered to support your health.