Compassionate Movement in Coaching with Jade Bailey
In this episode, Shannon is joined by distinguished expert Jade Bailey to engage in meaningful conversations of LGBTQ+ health and inclusivity in fitness. Jade shares their groundbreaking research on addressing disparities in physical activity within the LGBTQ+ community, shedding light on crucial insights.
Throughout this episode, the pair explore the power of co-creating knowledge with the queer community to produce resources that cater to their specific needs. Fostering inclusivity and representation, can create spaces where everyone feels welcomed and supported.
If you're passionate about diversity and equality in fitness, this podcast is for you. Tune in now to deepen your understanding of the challenges faced by the LGBTQ+ community and the potential for transformation through evidence-based practices.
About The Guests
Jade Bailey is part of the team at the Body Image & Health Research Lab at Western University in Ontario, Canada. Her research interests are on the intersections of body image, mental health, and physical activity in adult female and LGBTQ+ populations. She is particularly interested in and passionate about self-compassion and intuitive movement interventions.
This Episode Is A Must Listen For:
- Fitness Professionals and Coaches: Fitness trainers, coaches, and instructors who want to learn more about the unique needs and challenges faced by the LGBTQ+ community and want to design programs that cater to diverse populations. The conversation highlights the importance of further research and co-creation of knowledge with the LGBTQ+ community.
- Anyone form the LGBTQ+ community who may have faced barriers or discrimination in accessing physical activity spaces.
- Policymakers and advocacy organisations focusing on health, sports, and LGBTQ+ rights who want to deepen their understanding of the challenges and disparities discussed in the podcast. This knowledge can inform the development of more inclusive policies and initiatives.
- Anyone interested in learning about LGBTQ+ health, the importance of physical activity, and the need for inclusive practices in fitness and sports settings. It fosters awareness and empathy for the experiences of LGBTQ+ individuals.
- It’s important to create inclusive spaces in the realm of physical activity, particularly in fitness facilities and sports settings. It emphasises the need to address the barriers faced by LGBTQ+ individuals in accessing and participating in physical activities.
- There are existing health disparities within the LGBTQ+ community, especially concerning mental health and well-being. Physical activity proves better health outcomes and the need for tailored resources and programs.
- The conversation touches on the significance of understanding intersectionality, where individuals' experiences are shaped by various intersecting factors like gender, race, and sexuality. Recognising these intersections is crucial for developing more sensitive and effective physical activity resources.
- There is a need to involve the queer community more in research and knowledge co-creation. Engaging the community allows for the production of relevant resources and end products that align with their needs and experiences.
- Despite the challenges and disparities faced by the LGBTQ+ community in the context of physical activity, there is optimism that with increased awareness, uptake, and sensitivity, inclusive practices will become more common in the future. The hope is that more fitness facilities, coaches, and individuals will adopt evidence-based approaches and work towards creating genuinely inclusive spaces.
- The LGBT SportSafe Inclusion Program
- The You Can Play Project
- BIH Research
- Dr. Eric Vilain on Transgender Athletes in Sports | The Forward with Lance Armstrong
- A Leader's Role in Addressing LGBT Health w/Kristen L. Eckstrand, Ph.D. & John Davis, M.D., Ph.D.
- How Pat Griffin paved a path toward LGBTQ+ equality in athletics
If you enjoyed this episode, don't forget to rate the podcast and leave us any questions to answer in upcoming episodes!