Treating Obesity and Challenging Weight Stigma with Dr Mike Albert and Dr Gabrielle Fundaro
Join Shannon Beer, Dr. Mike Albert and Dr. Gabrielle Fundaro to discuss obesity, weight stigma, and retrospective effective treatments. Dive into the challenges of navigating obesity and weight stigma simultaneously, while debunking misconceptions and emphasising evidence-based treatments.
Learn how comprehensive approaches combining lifestyle interventions and biological treatments can achieve greater weight loss and long-term maintenance, ultimately improving quality of life and health outcomes. Tune in to the full episode to hear what the top experts have to say on obesity, weight stigma, and their evidence-based approaches.
About The Guests
Dr. Gabrielle Fundaro is a former Assistant Professor of Exercise Science at Georgia Gwinnett College and holds a PhD in Human Nutrition, Foods, and Exercise from Virginia Tech as well as a BS in Exercise, Sport, and Health Education from Radford University. She is an ACE-certified Health Coach with both Monash Low-FODMAP and ISSN Sport Nutritionist certifications. As a board member of both the Nutrition Coaching Global Mastermind (NCGM) and the Sports Nutrition Association (SNA), She collaborates with a selection of colleagues to guide discussions and change toward best practices in the online nutrition coaching industry.
Dr. Albert is board certified in Internal Medicine and a Diplomate of the American Board of Obesity Medicine. Before joining Accomplish Health, he served a joint faculty appointment at Cedars-Sinai and UCLA. During his time as faculty, Dr. Albert founded the Medical Weight Loss Program at Cedars-Sinai under the Weight Loss Center.
Dr. Albert completed his internship and residency at Cedars-Sinai, where he also served as the Kennamer Fellow for UCLA. He earned his MD from the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center and his BS from Duke University.
This Episode Is A Must Listen For:
- Individuals currently navigating obesity and weight stigma.
- Professional interested in evidence-based obesity treatments, and the impact of weight stigma on clients’ health.
- People studying the complex nature of obesity, weight regulation and its impact on individuals and society.
- Those who want to gain insights into the limitations of traditional approaches to weight loss and the importance of comprehensive strategies that incorporate lifestyle interventions and biological treatments.
- Anyone interested in improving their overall health, understanding weight regulation, and learning about evidence-based approaches to weight loss and maintenance.
- Those interested in reframing perspectives, challenging societal views, and addressing social determinants of health.
- Addressing obesity and weight stigma requires a comprehensive approach with evidence-based treatments.
- Weight stigma has negative impacts on mental health and overall well-being, emphasising the need for support and challenging societal views.
- Obesity involves disruptions in homeostatic systems, influenced by factors like infections, medications, and environmental chemicals.
- Traditional approaches to weight loss often fail due to the body's survival reflexes, leading to increased hunger, decreased fullness, and slowed metabolism.
- A comprehensive approach combining lifestyle interventions and biological treatments, like pharmacological options, can improve weight loss and long-term maintenance, benefiting health outcomes.
- Find Dr. Michael Albert on Twitter and TikTok: @MichaelAlbertMD
- Find Gabby here
- Accomplish Health website
- Obesity Medicine Association
- Does weight loss improve body image?
- Don’t give up on your appearance
If you enjoyed this episode, don't forget to rate the podcast!