Choosing compassion in a culture of condemnation with Dr Hannah Gilbert
In this episode we look at the intersection of culture, compassion, and personal growth. We explore the profound impact of culture on attitudes towards mental health, the transformative power of compassionate therapeutic relationships, the role of self-compassion in fostering growth, and the journey from self-criticism to joyful motivation.
About The Guests
Dr Hannah Gilbert is a compassion focused psychotherapist with keen interest in how anthropology can inform and inspire psychotherapeutic theory and practice, and runs workshops on compassionate mind training and the therapeutic relationship. She works in charity development for the Compassionate Mind Foundation and is a lecturer in Integrative Counselling & Psychotherapy at the University of Roehampton in London. Hannah founded Compassionate Wellbeing in 2012, and in 2017 started a small publishing company called Annwyn House.
This Episode Is A Must Listen For:
- Those intrigued by the interplay of culture and mental health attitudes.
- Therapists and mental health professionals interested in compassionate therapeutic approaches.
- People seeking ways to cultivate self-compassion and promote personal growth.
- Individuals looking to shift from self-criticism to motivation driven by joy.
- Anyone curious about emotional systems and strategies for positive change.
- Culture affects help-seeking and self-criticism, challenging Western individualism.
- Compassion in therapy creates safe spaces and builds empathy.
- Use Self-Compassion to promote growth and challenges self-criticism's success link.
- Create Joyful Motivation by shifting from self-criticism to joy enhances motivation.
- Balancing Change with encouragement and positive emotions transform by soothing.
- Find more form Hannah. here
- Compassionate wellbeing website is here
- Free body image Coaching workshop
Check out these next:
- Episode 29: Compassionate Movement in Coaching with Jade Bailey
- A beginners guide to self compassion
If you enjoyed this episode please don't forget to rate us to hear more like this one