The Cost of chasing masculine ideals: Mac Baker & James Walsham
In this episode, we uncover the complexities of body image among men, exploring the influence of masculinity ideals, societal pressures, and the evolving perspectives of newer generations. From the struggles men face to the changing landscape of self-acceptance, tune in to gain insights valuable for individuals of all backgrounds, health professionals, and advocates of societal change.
About The Guests
Mac is a coach with fortitude nutrition coaching.While Mac takes great pride in any transformations his clients achieve, he believes the role of a coach extends beyond a physical transformation and considers all facets of total health and happiness that nutrition can affect. Mac has a passion for education and helping clients develop long term diet autonomy and creating sustainable habits.He is a masters level and sports accredited nutritionist.
James Walsham is a Hypertrophy Expert and host of The Hypertrophy Hub Podcast. sCurrently he is studying his masters in Health data analysis. He recently pivoted away from fitness and towards technology within healthcare. Currently he works with a small number of clients as a sports nutritionist.
This Episode Is A Must Listen For:
- Those navigating body image struggles and evolving masculinity ideals.
- Fitness trainers looking to address emotional well-being in holistic health.
- People Who can guide young boys in fostering healthy body image and emotional expression.
- Those advocating for male mental health awareness and positive media representations.
- Individuals interested in challenging norms and fostering self-acceptance in a diverse society.
- Male body image is influenced by masculinity ideals, often leading to emotional suppression and dissatisfaction.
- Younger generations are more open about male body image struggles, signalling positive change in addressing mental health.
- External pressures, like the media's portrayal of the "ideal man," drive men toward seeking validation and rigid behaviours.
- Shifting from external validation to balanced experiences and personal values can lead to greater fulfilment.
- Challenging societal norms and initiating conversations can drive change in male body image perceptions and self-acceptance.
Check out these next:
If you enjoyed this episode please don't forget to rate us to hear more like this one