Tackling weight stigma in the fitness industry with Kat Schneider
In this episode, Kat Schneider sheds light on the pressing need to challenge prevailing notions of body image, encouraging fitness professionals to adopt a more inclusive and compassionate approach. Emphasising the importance of redirecting fitness goals from appearance to holistic health, the discussion underscores the significance of education and empathetic communication when engaging clients. With insights drawn from research and personal experience, this episode invites you to explore practical strategies and resources, including "Fitness Professionals Against Weight Stigma," as we work together to create a more supportive and diverse fitness environment.
About The Guests
Dr Kat Schneider is a Research Fellow at the Centre for Appearance Research. Her research interests include body image, disordered eating and eating disorders, weight stigma, and the intersection between body image and movement.
This Episode Is A Must Listen For:
- Fitness coaches, trainers, and professionals who want to enhance their understanding of weight bias, body diversity, and the impact of stigma on their clients' well-being can gain valuable insights from this podcast. The episode provides strategies to create a more inclusive and compassionate fitness environment.
- People who are interested in health and fitness but are concerned about weight stigma and body image issues can benefit from this episode. It offers a perspective on how to shift the focus from weight loss to holistic health and well-being, promoting a more positive relationship with one's body.
- Individuals who are passionate about promoting body positivity, diversity, and inclusivity in various fields, including fitness, can find inspiration and ideas in this podcast. The episode discusses practical steps to challenge weight bias and create a more accepting and supportive environment for everyone.
- Recognise and address weight bias to foster inclusivity in the fitness industry.
- Shift the focus from appearance-driven goals to holistic health and fitness objectives.
- Approach clients with empathy, educate them on weight complexity, and promote sustainable health behaviours.
- Prioritise intersectional perspectives to better understand the impact of weight stigma across diverse groups.
- Explore resources like "Fitness Professionals Against Weight Stigma" and advocate for non-stigmatising language and imagery in fitness spaces.
- Find Kat on Linkedin
- Here is Kat's research profile
- The Appearance Matters! podcast
- Against weight stigma website
- More HAES information
- Free body image Coaching workshop
Check out these next:
If you enjoyed this episode please don't forget to rate us to hear more like this one