Communication Skills For Coaches with Hugh Gilmore
In this episode of the Consilience podcast, Shannon and Hugh Gilmore explore Sports Psychology for Athletes and the art of Motivational Interviewing Techniques. Discover how combining sports psychology principles with behaviour change techniques can provide invaluable tools for success. Whether you're a seasoned athlete or just starting your sports journey, this episode offers practical insights, expert advice, and real-life success stories to ignite your passion for peak performance. Learn about the power of sports psychology for athletes and how it can optimise your performance with a resilient mindset.
About The Guests
Hugh J. Gilmore has an extensive list of qualifications and publications including completing the BASES SEPAR route, allowing him to be an HCPC registered Practitioner Psychologist. He is a trainer in Motivational Interviewing (MI) and a registered member of MINT (Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers). Having trained to advanced level in Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy (REBT) at the Albert Ellis Institute in New York City, he was recently asked to contribute to the Journal of REBT on experiences of applied practice in high performance sport.
Hugh has over a decade of experience working with all types of performers, from CEO’s to World Champions, and has experience within the wider UK Sport system (EIS & NGB). Hugh has provided support for Olympic and Paralympic medalists for the Rio and Tokyo games and is currently supporting athletes for the next games in Paris 2024.
This Episode Is A Must Listen For:
- Coaches and Fitness Professionals who want to learn about effective communication, behaviour change, and building alliances with clients.
- Psychology Enthusiasts who want to discover practical applications of psychology in coaching and fitness.
- Individuals Seeking Behaviour Change insights and strategies for achieving personal goals.
- Athletes and Sports Professionals interested in sports psychology principles for performance enhancement.
- Individuals Interested in seeking inspiration and guidance for personal transformation beyond physical appearance.
- Effective Communication is crucial for coaching and behaviour change.
- Understanding Psychology is vital for achieving fitness goals.
- Motivational Interviewing (MI) empowers clients to explore their reasons for change.
- Shift focus away from appearance to foster personal growth.
- Embrace lessons from trying and failing for future success.
Listen to this next:
- The Psychology of Nutrition Behaviour Change with Dr. Joe O'Brien
- Disordered Eating In Athletes with Dr Georgie Buckley
If you enjoyed this episode, don't forget to rate the podcast and leave us any questions to answer in upcoming episodes!