Body Image in Men & Athletes with David Brown
Want to know how to buffer the negative impacts of body image threats? In this interview, we dive deep into the fascinating world of body image research with athletes and men with an expert in the field. Join us as we explore the detrimental effects of societal pressures, social evaluative threats, and excessive feelings of shame on our body image. Explore the potential role of physical activity, social support, and other factors that may contribute to a healthier body image. Gain insights into the differences between genders, the impact of weight stigma, and the developmental stages influencing body image perception.
About The Guests
David Brown is a first year PhD student whose research interests involve investigating the role of body image in various contexts, focusing specifically on the impact of body image concerns on sport and exercise participation, psychophysiology, and health. David’s research examined psychobiological responses (i.e., cortisol, body shame, and body dissatisfaction) to, and recovery from, a social-evaluative body image threat in university men who were non-athletes and varsity athletes from non-aesthetic sports.
This Episode Is A Must Listen For:
- Athletes looking for strategies to improve their relationship with their bodies
- Men who are currently struggling with a negative body image
- Individuals interested in the research surrounding body image
- People interested in the differences of body image experiences between men and women
- Body image concerns in men differ from those in women, with men desiring both weight loss and muscle definition.
- Culture, media, and social influences play a significant role in shaping body image ideals and pressures in both men and women.
- Motivations for exercise and behaviours related to body image are important indicators of negative body image.
- The way physical activity and sports are communicated and the focus on body functionality rather than appearance can also contribute to a positive body image.
- David’s email: [email protected]
- Health Behaviour Emotion Lab
- Body Image Struggles in Elite Sport with Ffion Davies
- Why health and fitness messaging needs to change
- Sustainable pathways to high performance
If you enjoyed this episode, don't forget to rate the podcast!