Promoting Health and Fitness without Restriction
In this podcast episode, Shannon is joined by Siobhan O’Hagan to dive into the world of promoting health and fitness in a way that's sustainable and meaningful. They uncover the importance of trusting the process and embracing one's body, as Siobhan shares her personal journey from being involved in bikini competitions to realising that changing her physical appearance didn't truly impact how she felt on the inside.
Together, they discuss the ethical dilemma of marketing health and fitness services online and explore the effectiveness and potential drawbacks of using transformation photos. They challenge the belief that dieting is the ultimate solution for improving health, shedding light on the intentions and expectations that shape our relationship with food. They emphasise the value of having an open mindset and being adaptable in the face of changing circumstances. Siobhan and Shannon highlight that genuine health and well-being go beyond mere physical appearance or weight loss. By drawing from their own experiences and unique perspectives, they offer valuable insights to inspire a healthier and more holistic approach to food, fitness, and body image.
About The Guest
Siobhan O’Hagan is a My Protein Athlete and founder of online fitness program- The Fitness Furnace. Siobhan draws on her own experiences in the fitness industry to educate and empower women to improve their relationship with their bodies and food.
This Episode Is A Must Listen For:
- People who are passionate about health and fitness and want to explore a sustainable and meaningful approach to promoting these aspects in their own lives and potentially in their professional endeavors.
- Individuals who are struggling with body image issues or feeling pressure to conform to societal standards.
- Fitness professionals, trainers, coaches, and individuals working in the fitness industry who want alternative perspectives on fostering a healthier and more responsible approach to promoting fitness and well-being.
- Those interested in adopting a holistic approach that goes beyond mere physical appearance or weight loss, valuing the importance of mental and emotional well-being.
- People struggling with dieting or food-related issues who want insights to a more balanced perspective.
- Anyone seeking inspiration, motivation and guidance in their own health and wellness journey.
- Changing physical appearance doesn't guarantee inner fulfilment.
- We should consider ethical concerns in online health and fitness marketing.
- Transformation photos have limitations as a measure of progress.
- We can challenge the belief that dieting is the ultimate solution to better health.
- Genuine health goes beyond physical appearance.
Other helpful reads/podcasts:
- Pursuing fat loss to feel better about ourselves
- Clarifying your values
- Why health and fitness messaging needs to change
- Shannon’s Free Resources- Transform Body Image and Elevate Your Coaching Practice
Tune in to the full episode to expand your perspective on dieting and receive valuable guidance on cultivating a healthier relationship with food.