Controlling our appearance to compete for status with Dr Cristiania Duarte
In this episode we chat to Dr Cristiania Duarte, a renowned expert in self-compassion, body image, and emotional well-being. We discuss the role of social comparisons, feelings of inferiority, shame & self-criticism in the role of eating pathology. You might be surprised to learn that our perceived need to control our appearance is a strategy to compete for social acceptance. Discover practical insights on nurturing self-compassion, understanding the link between emotions and behaviour, and how these principles extend beyond body image to overall life satisfaction.
About The Guests
Dr. Cristiana Duarte is a clinical psychologist whose research focuses on measuring and examining psychological correlates and determinants of eating behaviour, weight regulation, body image, and mental health and wellbeing. Her specific research interests include weight stigma, body shame, food insecurity, and psychological approaches for eating regulation and weight management.
This Episode Is A Must Listen For:
- Individuals struggling with body image and eating behaviours will learn how self-compassion can help overcome self-criticism and emotional challenges.
- Fitness and wellness professionals can begin to understand the importance of emotional regulation in helping clients achieve and maintain their goals.
- Anyone interested in self-improvement to gain insights into building self-compassion as a valuable life skill beyond fitness and body image concerns.
- Choose compassion over self-criticism. Compassion involves courage and strength, while self-criticism can be harmful.
- Emotional regulation plays a crucial role in body image and eating behaviours. Emotional challenges are a significant factor in maintaining healthy habits.
- Start by caring for your well-being, sensitively addressing distress, and being non-judgmental towards yourself. Intention matters in actions related to eating and exercise; aim for self-compassion over self-criticism.
- Find Dr Cristiana Duarte here
- Improve your body image and relationship with food here
- Work with Shannon to improve your coaching skills here
Check out these next:
If you enjoyed this episode please don't forget to rate us to hear more like this one